Still Cooking...

Welcome to our family blog! Hope you enjoy these multi-generation recipes.

"I am thankful for family, but you know life's good when your stomach's full of good food and your pants still fit!" (Carol, Thanksgiving 2003)

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Carol's Basic Ceviche

(Say-vee-chay, fresh seafood salsa)


I've made this so many times and tried many variations. Without the shrimp, and by adding a TBSP or 2 of diced jalapenos or chilies, it quickly becomes more like a Mexican Pico de Gallo Salsa. Without the cucumber, and by adding a clove or 2 of crushed garlic, a couple TBSP's of oil and some diced chilies, you get the Chilean Pebre. I even included my bruschetta spin off below. I usually double this recipe according to 1 cucumber.


½ cucumber, finely diced

¼ small onion, finely diced

2 – 3 small tomatoes (roma or vine tomatoes, bigger ones work too but you might have to scoop out the seedy parts), finely diced

1 small fistful of cilantro, finely chopped

Juice from 1 lemon

Juice from 1 lime (or equal part vinegar)

Salt

Pepper (optional)

*baby shrimp or prawns, or seafood or choice


Add your chopped ingredients to a bowl. Add juices, *seafood and salt to taste. Serve as a condiment to grilled meats or as a fresh salsa with tortilla chips.


**for a quick Bruschetta, omit the cucumber and add 1 clove chopped garlic and 1 green onion thinly sliced. I still use cilantro (always on hand) but you could use the traditional herb Basil in this recipe. Serve on oven toasted bread, or top it on the bread with fresh parmesan and then toast it.

2 comments:

  1. This looks great Carol. Thanks for setting this up. I will have to post some recipes on here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol,

    How do we post recipes on this blog?

    ReplyDelete